An alternative translation for World Teacher Volume 1: Chapter 6 is now available.
I did say that I would go over the previous chapters…but I didn’t. Went on a trip, bought some wheat, found Holo and then went on a journey! No, I got distracted by some steam games and a certain TV show. I’ll get around to it, hopefully after I get Volume 1 done.
For this chapter, I tried something new. I left some of the responses (hai, ano, maa, etc.) in romaji with a TLN on them (if you’re already familiar with those sorts of terms, feel free to ignore any on-hovers for them). Looking back, I may change it back and continue with a mixture of conversion to English and keeping those that have no English equivalent (or those where changing it would lose a lot of the nuance) in romaji. If you have any opinions on either method, feel free to comment here/on the chapter.
Update: I don’t want to include tags to indicate who’s speaking as they are not in the raw and it should be relatively easy to distinguish between who is speaking (especially if you know each characters personalities, and provided I’ve done an acceptable job translating the differences into the speech). If you’re confused as to who’s speaking at a certain line, feel free to ask away in the comments, if you are so inclined.
In any case, I hope you enjoy this alternative translation of World Teacher Volume 1 Chapter 6! Feel free to make suggestions, leave feedback, or point out any mistakes I have made in the comments. Thank you for reading!
****Notes & disclaimers:****
- These translation(s) are an alternative translation to those done by Defiring and others.
- Once again, I am not trying to take over the series, but wish to provide an alternative translation for those interested.
- Defiring (linked above) already has the first few volumes completed and will most likely be translating at a much faster speed than I am.
- As I am doing this without a translation checker nor editor, these translations are more than likely to contain inaccuracies in translation and terribad Engrish (this is not a MTL though – despite some claims otherwise).
- As this is something done in my spare time, there is no schedule. I make zero promises, I may drop it at any time.
- I have added ()’s for continuous chapter numbering. Just +1 to the ()’s for equivalent Defiring chapter numbering.
- This will be a less-localized version – I will change some SFX and the like to close English equivalents but the majority will be retained in Japanese but converted to romaji (especially honorifics and titles).
- I will also try to add translator’s notes (TLN’s) where I think further clarification may be needed.
- This translation’s main aim is accuracy over English flow – I find that when I change some sentences to flow reasonably well into English, while it has the same overall meaning, it’s deviated to such an extent that the author could’ve just written it that way in Japanese (perhaps my weak Engrish is to blame?). In any case, I will willingly sacrifice English flow for accuracy if the sentence is still intelligible in English.
- If you see any mistakes – feel free to notify me in the comments.